Monday, October 8, 2007

Lady Constantine

Here's how this works: I finish reading a comic collection, and I tell you about it, and I try not to go on too long.



Lady Johanna Constantine was introduced in the pages of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman as a 17th Century ancestor of the occult detective John Constantine. This was Andy Diggle's first work for DC Comics - it's standard to see new hires put to work on protecting old trademarks - and I'm not wholly certain his heart was completely in it. There are some good moments in this roaring adventure on the high seas, and Lady Constantine is a great character, but I'm not certain this slight story warrants the page count. It feels like there could have been much more in it than there was. Recommended for Diggle or Hellblazer completists.

(Originally posted October 8, 2007 at hipsterdad's LJ.)

No comments: